Written by Sarah Stewart and Illustrated by David Small
Farrar, Straus and Giroux Books, 2012
Here is a wonderful mentor text entitled The Quiet Place that was published in September 2012 by the husband and wife duo of Sarah Stewart and David Small. Their previous collaborations include:
Here are just a few ideas for how to use The Quiet Place for teaching:
- Character who writes
- Text is presented in a letter format
- Compare and contrast with The Gardener
- Inference: think about what the aunt's responses would be
- Main character - immigrant from Mexico
- Life Change - How is it dealt with?
- Writing traits:
Here is a link to a interview with David Small and Sarah Stewart from Reading Rockets. You can also read the transcript for the interview via Reading Rocket's website.