Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

New Biographies Grace the School Reading Room!

   This is exciting news especially for my MW colleagues! I have been able to order some fabulous new biographies for the school reading room. I have started processing the sets of 12 books by labeling them for their A.R. reading level as well as stamping the covers and taping the spine. As I add the sets to respective grade level shelves, I am also adding the titles in the reading room's inventory notebook. 

    You will notice that I have been incorporating older biographies onto various grade level collections. I've also been rearranging grade level shelves a bit for grades 2-5 in order to make room for the biographies. I will be relabeling the updated shelves once I receive a new label maker. :) 

    These people are great examples of fascinating American citizens. Many of these figures are important people represented in our state's standardized testing. If they are not one of the important people listed in the Standards of Learning, they are a person who is a part of a historical time period that is studied. Some of the books are simply about fantastic people that are great to explore while reading biographical material and applying nonfiction reading skills with real texts.

    Here is a preview of the titles courtesy of Google Books. Just click on a title to get a sneak peek at the new books. :) These will be something fresh and exciting to share with the students in January and February when biographies and nonfiction texts are genres that are highlighted!

From the On My Own Biographies Series from Lerner Publishing:
 

From the Ready to Read Series from Simon Publishing:


From the Who Was.../Who Is...Series Published by Grosset and Dunlap:



From the Time for Kids Biographies Series: 

    As a bonus for the upper grades, be sure to check out the website for Time for Kids to extend your real life application on expository reading skills. Keep your eyes peeled as I process sets in my spare time and continue to add them to the school collection. I hope you and the students enjoy them this school year!

No comments :

Post a Comment